Monday 25 August 2008

Arthur Russell - In The Light Of The Miracle

I originally posted about this documentary in June of last year, so it's taken a while for it to finally get shown over here. Check out the website and trailer. Not much more to say except that it's a must see. It's only showing at the ICA for one week so you'll have to book your tickets pretty quick. I like this story by Theo Thonnessen in the sleevenotes to 'I Like It Vol 1' about this particular track though: 'I wonder how dance music of today would sound, without Arthur Russell's influences. This man was definitely ahead of his time. I got this as a white label from Gilles Peterson years ago when he was playing in our club Into Somethin'. Talkin Loud wanted to put out some of Arthur Russell's unreleased tracks at that time. So a limited number of 12" promos were pressed. Somehow it never came out officially. The morning after Gilles' gig, I came home, put 'In the light...' on and listened to it for hours till I fell asleep next to the turntable. My love affair with deep-house began that day."

Arthur Russell - In The Light Of The Miracle

No comments: